Home Works

We work at being at home; our home works for our family. We are regular; regular seems rare. I try to look at the stars like my mother does each night -- proof we are all under the same sky.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Cultural Exchange

Today I showed Isaac how to use the washing machine, the dryer, and the vacuum cleaner. In his family home in Ecuador, he has not had these family responsibilities because, like in fortunate South American families, chores are taken care of by servants. He is a willing learner and seems to understand when I tell him how middle class families in America work hard together to take care of their homes, yards, cars, and pets. I have also shown him how to cook eggs so he will be ready to prepare his own breakfast.

It's important that he can cook eggs (los huevos!) because the bus comes at 5:50 am. He and I are both in disbelief about this. As a homeschool mom to three boys, I am feeling like I will be getting a big dose of "American school culture" as well as the Ecuadoran culture I look forward to learning about so much.

Kevin and Patrick also helped with chores today. Isaac agreed that cleaning bathrooms, which each of them did, was less desirable than vacuuming. Nick helped with putting away toys, straightening chairs, and helping to "pick up."

Tonight we went to the high school for orientation for Isaac. He says the school is a bit bigger in size than the citadel in his town in Ecuador, and we were able to see the new soccer field that has just been built. He is anxious to participate in soccer, so I hope that all that will work out. I myself was shocked to hear that dress code violations here are met with punishment that includes a student's choice of "corporal punishment or suspension." More culture clash for me. I can't imagine corporal punishment, and most especially in dealing with teenagers. The Scandinavian exchange student we spoke with about this noted that this is illegal in his country. I had read a lot about corporal punishment being outlawed in Memphis schools just last year; the first year we moved to this part of the world, the newspaper published statistics regarding the many thousands of incidents of corporal punishment in that school system. There is a lot about Ecuador that has seemed less jarring to me than this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Corporal punishment? For teenagers? Do they use the cane or lash them to the mast? Good grief.

I was in high school in the 1960s and even 'way back then' I can't recall any corporal punishment. My 6-yr. younger sister had it differently in elementary school at the time, but by high school, it wasn't even in consideration.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home