Home Works

We work at being at home; our home works for our family. We are regular; regular seems rare. I try to look at the stars like my mother does each night -- proof we are all under the same sky.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

un sustantivo no un verbo

Today Kevin took Isaac to get his haircut after school. Isaac has told us that in Ecuador, for $5 he can go get his haircut, have some delicious helado in town, and pay for the taxi both ways.

Here, it cost him $12 plus tip. Explaining the tip thing was a challenge, and it wasn't just the language barrier, but I think we got it across.

Now I feel confident that, on his own, he's going to get up early enough to catch the 5:50 a.m. school bus and make his own breakfast and lunch beforehand, so I'm a little less nervous about the possibility of my having to be competent before 5:30 a.m. on a regular basis.

I'm packing my bags for VaHomeschoolers Homeschool Day this weekend and looking forward to it -- tho' creating the list of who-has-to-be-where for Rick is more difficult than staying here and being the Director.

I should be able to be a logistics manager for one of these big warehouses in Memphis after my experience as a homeschool mom.

Language challenge of the day was explaining "why do you use the verb 'to catch?'" in regard to the school bus. "To catch and to ride are the same?"

Not quite, but in this case, and not usually, but you can even say "catch a ride" but then ride is un sustantivo no un verbo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home